when i got to belmont my father had already moved out all our houseplants outside since it was warm and sunny today. for lunch i had some a korean pancake. we noticed some of the dragon fruit cactuses have a discoloration on their otherwise green skin which could be some kind of rot or possibly sun damage.
i finally brought my lotuses out of storage. i discovered i only had 5 pots of lotuses, not the 6 i thought i had. this means i don't need as many wash basins and barrels. unpacking them from their containers was difficult, the compact clay did not want to let go. also a lot of the escaped roots seemed to have rotted. when i finally did get the rhizomes out, i was kind of disappointed how emaciated they seemed. out of all the plants, only one of them seemed to have an actual growing tip, while the rest seemed to be thin hollow tuber stems and rotted roots. in hindsight, i should've dug them out at the end of the season and kept the lotus rhizomes in sealed moist bags in a cool location. keeping them submerged in the clay medium seemed to have rotted most of them. nevertheless, it was still something to work with. i rinsed off the roots and left them in a bucket to soak. what i didn't count on was hailey thinking it was something to play with and instinctively grabbed all the lotus roots in her mouth and shook them violently. so who knows if these roots will survive now, with the rotting and the dog attack. i planted 2 of the healthiest rhizomes, need to soak some more dried clay pellets to create more growing medium.